This course provides participants with the knowledge and confidence to administer first aid care and treatment in the workplace or in personal situations. This course combines both the HLTAID003 – Provide first aid with HLTAID001 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation courses.
This is a full-day course and is conducted on the last Friday of every month from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm at our Training Centre. Skills Force Australia is located in Wangara with free parking, however, there is the option for us to deliver training at your workplace.
Prior to attending the course, learners are sent a link to complete mandatory online pre-course learning and assessment by reading the Learner Guide and successfully answering eighty (80) knowledge quiz questions at their own pace. This must be completed prior to attending the practical session unless there are extenuating circumstances. In this situation, the learner must advise the Trainer and Assessor on arrival to the practical session.
To enrol for a course please select the purchase button and choose a commencement date you wish to start. Please complete the enrolment form and payment section. You will receive a confirmation email upon successful payment.
At the completion of this program, students will receive a statement of attainment for Provide First Aid. Please view the student handbook below for further information on our training policies and procedures.
- HLTAID003 – Provide first aid: current to release 6.
- HLTAID001 – Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation: current to release 5.
- Two (2) minutes of uninterrupted CPR
- Procedures for dealing with major and minor injury and illness
- Priorities of management in first aid when dealing with life-threatening conditions
- Basic occupational health and safety requirements in the provision of first aid
- Infection control principles and procedures
- Chain of survival
- Understanding and use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
Skills and Knowledge Gained:
- DRSABCD action plan
- Managing the unconscious breathing casualty
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) including automated External Defibrillator AED
- Wounds and bleeding
- Medical emergencies including chest pain, asthma, anaphylaxis, diabetes, strokes, seizures, hyperventilation, and fainting
- Safety and risk management
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries
- Chest and abdominal injuries
- Legal issues
- Infection control
Additional training includes:
- Heat and cold-induced illness
- Strains, sprains, dislocation, and fractures
- Facial and eye injuries
- Bites and stings
There are no pre-requisites associated with Provide First Aid HLTAID003 & HLTAID001.
Skills Force Australia uses a range of different assessment tools to determine if a student is eligible for completion of the course. Learners will be assessed individually using the following methods:
- Scenario assessments in which a student is required to demonstrate the required skills to respond to a range of first aid or emergency situations.
- Practical assessments:
- Demonstration of CPR
- Demonstration of various first aid techniques.
- Written questions
Skills Force Australia provides the following resources for the student during the class sessions as learning resources:
- First Aid Manual – Free student handbooks are provided but are not required for training activities. The manual incorporates the latest first aid information and is a student resource providing additional information not covered under the training package core knowledge. It provides the student with an easy-to-read reference for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
- PowerPoint – This presentation is interactive with videos and customised to include examples and scenarios that are relevant to the real-life first aid and CPR emergencies that the student may face providing them with the skills and confidence to respond to a situation where emergency life support or basic first aid may be required.
- Please view our student handbook for any further information
Skills Force Australia provides the following equipment for use during the face-to-face training for the student to undertake scenario-based assessment.
- Adult and infant resuscitation manikins in line with ARC Guidelines for assessment of CPR procedures
- Adrenaline auto-injector training device
- AED training device
- Placebo bronchodilator and spacer device
- Roller bandages
- Triangular bandages
- Workplace First Aid kit
- Workplace injury, trauma and/or illness record, or other appropriate workplace incident report form for written reports
- Wound Dressings
On successful completion of both the online and face-to-face learning you will receive the following Statements of Attainment:
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
Safe Work Australia recommends that recertification in CPR should be undertaken annually. (Safe Work Australia – Safety in the workplace)