Working at heights is a crucial aspect of various construction activities in Australia, including new construction projects, renovations, and tasks related to the mining industry. This training module is also relevant to individuals working in different sectors who must remain vigilant about critical risks, such as the potential for people or objects to fall from elevated positions.
Completion of this construction safety training program is a mandatory requirement in line with the Safe Work Australia model Code of Practice: for Construction Work. It applies to all individuals involved in construction work across the country. Please be aware that specific states and territories may have additional licensing, legislative, regulatory, or certification requirements for this competency unit. For more information, please consult the relevant regulatory authority in your area.
- Legislation, policies and procedures
- Assessing hazards and risks
- Selecting, wearing and caring for your personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Safety systems including fall protection
- Performing work at heights
- Safe shifting and handling of tools and materials and
- Coordinating and communicating with other people
Allow one day for this face to face course including theory, practical assessments and 40 minute lunch break. It is run every Monday from 0745am and is dependent on minimum student numbers (At least 3).
Must have good general health and fitness for practicals (entering and working within a confined space, ability to wear a harness and climb a ladder/work at heights).
*Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any concerns regarding completion of practical training and assessment requirements and to discuss options for reasonable adjustments
Language Literacy and Numeracy requirement:
- RTO’s are required to obtain evidence that you have minimum Level of English language, literacy and numeracy skills to ensure this course is right for you. Participants must complete a short LLN quiz which is automatically sent to Skills Force Australia to validate. If the quiz provides evidence that Participants have this level then they will not be contacted and may continue with theory and practical training.
- Those who do not successfully complete this quiz will be required to access appropriate assistance.
Please view the following participant support links:
Reading and writing hotline: Reading Writing Hotline – Information and Advice
Workskil Australia: Workskil – Reading and Writing in English
This course is conducted every Monday from 7:45am to 3:00pm at our Training Centre. Skills Force Australia is located in Wangara with free parking, however, there is the option for us to deliver group training at your workplace.
Upon completion, participants will be presented with a statement of attainment for the following:
Licence & Regulatory Requirements:
Industry recommendations are that participants who obtain these competencies complete recertification training every 2 years.
Applicable to training at your workplace:
- Parking area for trainers (To setup training close by)
- For external training we require similar heights and confined space resources for practical training and assessments sessions as per training package requirements and to achieve compliance
- Training room for PowerPoint presentation
- Recommended maximum group size applies
- Recommended qualification period 2 years
You can help us keep your training costs down by:
- Arranging for a minimum of 5 participants (Particularly for training conducted at your workplace) *Group discount will apply
- Regional training: Participant numbers will be accepted and set on registration (our invoicing will reflect participant numbers as of registration date)
- When you register for this training, please ensure that ALL participants arrive at our facility or are available for training (Agreed participant numbers) as your invoice will reflect this. This prevents situations where our trainers arrive in regional towns or mining sites only to find that participant numbers are lower than planned and we suffer a loss
Up to 10 free parking bays available next to our training facility.
Knowledge based assessment and practical demonstration.
What to wear
All participants are required to wear the following minimum PPE to enter our training
- Fully enclosed shoes (steel-capped boots preferred)
- Long-sleeve shirt with high visibility (preferred)
- Long work pants
- Participants may bring their own quality AS helmet/gloves
- Skills Force Australia have available harnesses, helmets, gloves, lanyards, Arrestor reel & tripod.
Morning tea & lunch (day course)
At Skills Force Australia we provide free tea, coffee & biscuits with fridge available. Nearby lunch bars only 200m away.
Construction Training Fund Discount Eligibility:
The Construction industry is the largest industry in WA employing tens of thousands of skilled workers in over 130 different occupations across civil, commercial and residential sectors. In Western Australia, the Construction Training Fund CTF allows for up to a 70% discount on course costs for eligible candidates and companies. Remember that this Training Fund is 100% industry funded through the collection of the BCITF levy which applies to all construction projects in WA.
Eligibility: The Construction Fund is dependent on a company or individuals ability to demonstrate direct involvement in Western Australia’s construction industry, specifically in on site construction, installation and fabrication activity. Eligible companies / individuals must be:
- Directly employed in the building and construction industry in Western Australia.
- Construction companies undertaking projects in Western Australia.
- Self-employed and undertaking work which is directly involved in the construction process.
Where eligibility of an applicant is in question the Training Fund will seek evidence of eligibility via review of a detailed, recent work history and/or evidence of employment.
Participants need to contact the CTF for more information follow this link;
Construction Training Fund Website: CTF Construction Training Fund